Xequte User Forums
Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 Smart Pix Manager and MegaView
 Searching using "Filter"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Attach a photo to your post

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jhurnard Posted - Jan 01 2007 : 02:55:31
I cannot get the Filter to "hide files created after (a certain date)" when performing a search.

I select a keyword for the search and then try to add a filter to hide files created recently. All the files associated with the keyword appear whether the filter is used or not.

For example, I try to hide files created after 2004-07-01 (selected from the pop-up calendar) but files created 2004-07-21 are still shown, along with files created, for example, 1996-09-05.

The creation dates are those shown as "File Date" in the File Information General tab for a particular image.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xequte Posted - Jan 01 2007 : 02:55:31
OK, I understand now. Smart Pix retrieves the original file date and stores it in database when the image is added to the database. If you used a dummy source image then alas Smart Pix will use the date of that file. Because the purpose of that field is to reference the date that the photo was taken (and thus is never modified) Smart Pix does not update the value of the field.

This doesn't leave you with many options other than to set a date to your files by right-clicking them and selecte "Set Date of File"

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
www.xequte.com
In reply to your questions:

a) I did not scan the images using Smart Pix. The TIFF files from a SprintScan scanner were saved and then opened in Jasc Paint Shop Pro, where they were enhanced and saved as jpg files. The place-holding dummy files in SPM were then overwritten by these jpg images.

b)File/File Information for one of the scanned images gives the following.
General tab: Correct date of the file
Camera fields: No information
IPTC fields: No information

The file date in the thumbnails/full display is always that of the original dummy file that has been replaced.

(The database was originally set up, without any real images, by importing descriptions and keywords from a .dbf file along with an identifier for each of several thousand slides. Originally, there was only a dummy image for each record. Now I am adding scanned images.)

John

Hi John

When EXIF data is not available the file date is used, so the real problem in this case seems to be the that erroneous EXIF data is being added to images when you scan them on your system. Can I please confirm that:
a) you scanned your images using Smart Pix
and
b)When you select File|File Information for the scanned information erronous EXIF data is displayed

And I will look into the issue for the next update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
www.xequte.com
Thanks. I understand the problem.

The filter works fine with a database consisting of original digital images. However, the database in question consists only of images scanned from slides so that there is no EXIF information for the database to capture. The dates associated with each image in the file are identical--the date of the "dummy" image that held a place in the database until a scanned image was substituted. That date does not appear to get changed when the original image is overwritten.

Date information on any new image files is correctly stored as file information (not as database information). I had assumed that the filter would work on the file information.

I guess it would be convenient, in situations such as this, if the user had the option of choosing whether the filter would work on the file date or the database date. If the database date requires EXIF information, scanned images would seem to be excluded from the filtering function, as would jpeg images that had been manipulated (and had therefore lost their EXIF information) before been entered into the database.

Thanks for the clarification.

John

SPM v7.07
Hi John

The date that is shown in File|File Information is the "File Date" the last date that the image was edited.

The date stored in the database is usually the file creation date extracted from the Digital Camera (EXIF) data embedded in the image. I.e. the date that the photo was actually taken (also displayed in File|File Information under the Digital Camera tab).

Can you please check the dates of the returned files by using the database date field instead. To display this select the Thumbnails|Full Details option and if the date column is not shown right click the header, select Column selector and then drag the date column and drop it onto the header row.

Also confirm that you are using the latest version v7.07

if it is not displayed

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
www.xequte.com