Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 MLK hangs during check for new mail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  00:36:36  Show Profile  Reply
I'm using a Gmail and added the SSL add in. Now while checking for new messages MLK will hang. And when the error message comes up saying it's taken too long. I can't even cancel, it hung and it's alway on the first email meessage. I have to use taks manager and force MLK to close. I then re-start MLK and it porcesse all the messages.

What's strange is it's always the first message. If I look in Gmail I can see the first message.

Any idea why it's hung?
And why I can't cancel out?

I'm Running MLK 7.10R

Thanks

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  01:18:10  Show Profile  Reply
I created a screecast so you can see what I'm talking about

http://screencast.com/t/kTnnDwV0JQf

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  00:36:23  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I'll send you some debug logging info.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

jmetzler

USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  05:52:43  Show Profile  Reply
I have a very similar problem... That is why I am here. Looking for some answers.

It hangs after starting to read too. If I hit cancel, it will eventually comes up with the "taking to long - want to cancel message". If I hit cancel, it eventually will, although it may take two minutes or so. After it finally cancels, I get a message that says "an error was encountered connecting to your POP server: pop.gmail.com"

Mine does NOT work everytime after re-starting. More often than not, it doesn't work. I have to go into G-mail and clear out the e-mails, or it will almost always hang. It just started doing it a couple weeks ago. I didn't do anything to what had been perfectly functioning software.

It started doing it with the last version. When I upgraded to the newest version, it still does it. Makes me think G-mail did something.

quote:
Originally posted by Douggg

I'm using a Gmail and added the SSL add in. Now while checking for new messages MLK will hang. And when the error message comes up saying it's taken too long. I can't even cancel, it hung and it's alway on the first email meessage. I have to use taks manager and force MLK to close. I then re-start MLK and it porcesse all the messages.

What's strange is it's always the first message. If I look in Gmail I can see the first message.

Any idea why it's hung?
And why I can't cancel out?

I'm Running MLK 7.10R

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  20:23:01  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

We use a lot of gmail accounts for testing, etc, and for the last two to three weeks something funky has been going on at their end.

Part of it seems to be related to their overuse blocking:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14257

The short answer there is don't check your gmail more than once every ten minutes.

However there is another issue that we're currently investigating where Outlook won't download from Gmail at all. The resolution we've found is to recreate the Gmail account in Outlook. While this would sound like an Outlook issue, our Outlook configuration has not changed whereas Gmail have clearly made some changes at their end. I'm not sure how this issue would affect MLK.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  20:57:40  Show Profile  Reply
Just spent a few hours with this, it is defanitly a problem with Gmail. Just switched to anouther email account (non-Gmail) and the problem is gone.
Go to Top of Page

jmetzler

USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  07:27:16  Show Profile  Reply
It is super annoying... I looked deeply into Gmail "overuse" blocking and tried the suggestions. Didn't seem to work.

What other E-mail did you switch to?
Go to Top of Page

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  09:13:18  Show Profile  Reply
There are a couple of issues going on with Gmail and other web based mail programs.

I switched from Gmail to an email account to a POP account at my ISP and everything worked perfectly first time. There is a problem with Gmail, I would not use it.

Not sure if you are using RAC, I am and this is a huge problem for me. I've spent hours researching this. MLK will not send messages or process RAC commands if sent from Gmail. The commands get there, but MLK says the body of the message is empty. Same thing happens if a message is from Yahoo and other web based mail programs.

I don't think this is an MLK problem though. What’s strange is messages and RAC commands sent from HotMail work fine. But what I don’t understand is even if the message is sent from Gmail/Yahoo as plain text MLK still says there’s an error. (Which points to a MLK.)

I’ve sent an email to Nigel and am waiting for an answer. This has turned into a a huge problem for us as our MLK box is at a colo and almost everything we do is via RAC.

I really hope Nigel has a fix.
Go to Top of Page

jmetzler

USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  09:41:59  Show Profile  Reply
OK... I was hoping for a simple fix, as I can't tolerate this much longer.

I could easily switch to a POP account within our domain name... My problem comes from the fact I am in the mortgage business. We operate a very legitimate and very large opt-in system, and a few smaller "previous customer" type newsletters (NO SPAM). Being in the mortgage business, every single SPAM blocker attacks our legitimate opt-in system on a regular basis.

Blocking of our regular domain is what got us to switch to MLK in the first place. To avoid it now, we use new, but similar G-Mail address often (newsletter1@, then newsletter2@, newsletter3@). It's worked beautiful until they did whatever they did to G-Mail.

I really need this figured out or a different throw away email address.
Go to Top of Page

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  09:51:31  Show Profile  Reply
Simple fix, buy another domain with email and use that email account.
Go to Top of Page

jmetzler

USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  10:27:01  Show Profile  Reply
We've done that 3 times... That is why we went to throw away E-Mail accounts
Go to Top of Page

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  17:43:37  Show Profile  Reply
Are your MX and SPF records set up properly?
Go to Top of Page

Julien

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  05:19:23  Show Profile  Reply
I have the same issue.

MLK Version 7.10R
Gmail (Google Apps)

When I ask MLK to check (direct POP connection) for new ML messages nothing happens : it says it's connecting to the server, "fetch" a few messages (it never went after the 4th ; none are processed by MLK) forever... until I kill the MLK process in the Task Manager.

Maybe it's a Gmail issue, maybe not :

I have configured MLK to work with Outlook. Outlook can connect to Gmail POP server and download all messages. Then I ask MLK to process all ML messages contained in the specified folder in Outlook and everything works as expected.

So my 2 cents on it is that MLK does have a problem to connect to Gmail where Outlook has no problem at all...

What do you think ?

Design for the preview pane of email applications. That means you've got about 500, 600 pixels tops for your email designs. If you think recipients will actually double click an email to view your message in full screen "to appreciate all its glory," send us whatever you're smokin.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  15:58:15  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Julien

It is quite possible that MLK is in some way contributing to the issue, but the issue did not exist until the recent changes at Gmail. You mention that Outlook can retrieve the messages successfully, but on our test systems we also have problems with Outlook.

I'd like to investigate the issue in more depth. I'll email you some debug logging info.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Julien

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  01:07:59  Show Profile  Reply
I have used Outlook 2003 SP2

Tell me what you need to know : julien at shift dot be

Design for the preview pane of email applications. That means you've got about 500, 600 pixels tops for your email designs. If you think recipients will actually double click an email to view your message in full screen "to appreciate all its glory," send us whatever you're smokin.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  14:00:38  Show Profile  Reply
I emailed you some debugging info. Did you get it?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Julien

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  00:34:16  Show Profile  Reply
Yep, I got it. I'll do it this week.
Stay tuned.

Go to Top of Page

ajmeier

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  18:22:28  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

I have the same issue with gmail. The program hangs each time I try to check messages. Any updates on this issue?
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  19:32:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

We haven't seen any logging that shows the problem to be in MailList King (in fact, we regularly have issues in Outlook with Gmail accounts).

Can you send us a debug logging showing the issue?

I'll send you details.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Julien

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  00:32:34  Show Profile  Reply
I still have to do the debug thing for you, sorry.
I'll do it tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Douggg

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  10:09:31  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel,
Since I'm the one who started this thread several months ago I have to agree with you this is NOT a MLK problem, it's a problem with GMAIL.

The fix for this is easy. One of my domains comes with several ISP hosted POP email accounts. I switched from Gmail to the ISP hosted email and have not had any problems MLK has been working perfectly for months now.

Now what did I do with the gamil account I had been using? I still use it with MLK by forwarding the gmail account to the POP account. (I use the gmail account to archive all the messages.)

To anyone having this problem don’t blame MLK, it's defiantly a problem with gamil. Don't waste your time trying to figure it out just use a POP account.

Douggg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: