Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 "unsubscribe email" in subject line not working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  20:56:15  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, Nigel
just tried to use the unsubscribe command together with a specified email as well as the personalized email. It did not work if I use the subject line.
i.e.: interest@somewhere.xy?subject=unsubscribe%20%Email%
fails (also with and without %20)

However it works with the unsubscribe command alone in the subject line or with the complete command in the body (and mlk folder processing task set to retrieve addresses from "message body").
i.e.: interest@somewhere.xy?subject=unsubscribe
i.e.: interest@somewhere.xy?body=unsubscribe%20%Email%

Is that a normal behaviour?

SPM11
MLK9

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

In what way does it not work?

Does it not embed the email address in the link, or do you mean that clicking the link does not include the email address?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  23:07:35  Show Profile  Reply
Sorry for the incomplete details:

Everything is fine: embedding, including email address, connection to outlook, moving the processed mail to another outlook folder).
Except: MLK does not process the mail as "unsubscribed": It does not remove the mail from the groups, and it does not assign the mail address to the removed members. There is no entry in processing errors nor in the history.

Edit: MLK does not use the email in the subject line; it does process the mail as "unsubscribed" with the sender address and the address in the body. (Email in Attachments and To/CC not tested.)

Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  02:39:45  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Yango

Does the email subject show as "Unsubscribe Some@address.com"? Is it located in the email processing folder (the one under View > Options, Email Processing)? In particular, ensure you are not processing the message using the (Advanced) "Folder Processing Tasks" function.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  12:09:10  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, Nigel,
now that is exactly what I did: using the folder processing tasks.
With that it is not working? Well, I noticed that there was no selection "use mail in subject line", however I thought this would be used always.
The email processing folder is already occupied by another "outlook folder". For some reason, I use different folders in outlook for the answers to my different mailings. So I was (and am) quite happy to have the folders tasks:
I helped me by including the unsubscribe command also in the body of the reply-mail; that works perfectly. But I wondered why it didnīt work and if I made any mistake. Now, it seems to be "normal behaviour". I think you should include this information in the online help - this would have spared quite some time trying to get something to run which is simply not possible...

Kind regards
Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  18:32:14  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

There is a little bit of confusion between folder processing tasks and the email processing folder. MLK never looks for command (such as SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE) when enacting a Folder Processing Task.

All it does is retrieve all the email addresses in messages in the specified folder and deals with them in the manner specified for that task.

So in other words, even if a message has the subject SUBSCRIBE john@jill.com, if MLK finds it in a Folder Processing Task folder, and for that task you have specified that all addresses should be UNSUBSCRIBED then MLK will try to unsubscribe john@jill.com

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  15:51:53  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, Nigel,

thank you for the clarification, I did not know that.

Despite MLK does not look for a command like subscribe/unsubscribe when using folder processing tasks, I can use different folders in outlook: the unsubscribe or subscribe command in the mail is used as an outlook rule, moving an incoming mail to a specific folder campaign#1-subscribe or campaign#1-unsubscribe, or campaign#2-subscribe and so on. These folders are then processed by MLK using the folder processing task, either adding or removing members to specified groups. So it works for me.
However, all email addresses in the body [the attachment / from / to lines - whatever is activated as source] are processed. That might potentially result in an unwanted addition or removal of addresses...
Thus it might be a new feature if there would be more than one "email processing folder" or the functionality of the folder processing tasks would be increased to also use the commands...

Kind regards
Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  00:00:21  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Yango

Certainly this is one of the reasons we created Folder Processing Tasks to handle those outlying cases where you might use Outlook rules or other methods to arrange messages for MLK processing, e.g. we use it to immediately unsubscribe addresses that send us Vacation Response Spam.

Can you tell me the advantage in separating your unsubscribes by campaign (as opposed to using groups, or multiple mailing lists, for example)?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  17:29:15  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, Nigel,
I have a MLK database with members who have in common a special interest. Many of the email addresses I get by giving lectures on this specialty (several per year), and I offer to send out newsletters about upcoming events concerning this special interest. All the emails sent to me are moved to a folder in outlook that is specific for the lecture I gave, it is named with the date and the location of the lecture. Additionally I run then and when a congress on this specialty, and for which I send out special mailings. In the past every mailing got an own outlook folder (plus subfolders) for subscribe/unsubscribe. And finally I run some websites - one for each congress, and as well ann own website about this specialty - and the visitors can subscribe through a web form. And some do subscribe - or unsubscribe - even at the websites of former congresses. Also for these websites I use own outlook folders.
So, whithin outlook, I can keep on track of all these members or interested people. Well, maybe this could all be done by MLK by assigning groups (what I indeed do). But I used outlook before I started MLK , and so I just continued this systematics.

Hope itīs not to confusing.

Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  00:11:29  Show Profile  Reply
Fair enough, thanks for the detail.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com