Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 getting started
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gr8852

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  20:50:16  Show Profile  Reply
hi, i recently downloaded the trial version of MLK. I have some confusion as how to get started. I have read the tutorial and checked the help files & forum entries, but i can't find the answers to my very basic questions.

my questions are:

1 when setting up a mailing list (i will have several lists) is this done by starting a group for each list in MLK? do i need to have separate folders for each group in Outlook as well?

2 when an email is received from someone to subscribe/unsubscribe to a list, are all the emails sent to the one "subscribe" folder in Outlook, or do i need to set up a different Outlook folder for each type (one for subscribe, a different one for unsubscribe etc.)? do i need to set up separate subscribe/unsubscribe folders etc. for each group?

3 are the email addresses and personal details etc. automatically collected from the Outlook folders, and sent to MLK or is this done manually? If this is done automatically, how do I do it?

4 is it best to have a different email address for each list/group? do i need different email addresses for subscribe & unsubscribe etc.?

5 as i don't have a website published yet, is there some way to test if everything is running O.K.

as you can see i am pretty unclear as to how MLK works. perhaps you could develop a "MLK for dummies" tutorial, with every step simply shown with pictures. Thanks for your patience. i look forward to your reply

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  00:13:10  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

1. You can either have multiple mailing lists (with multiple groups) or a single database with multiple groups. Generally only a single mailing list is required. Typically multiple databases are only used when you need to have different settings for each mailing list (e.g. because each mailing list is for a different organization).

2. You don't need to setup any folders in Outlook, except - ideally - one that MLK should check for any messages destined for your mailing list (all subscribes, unsubscribes, bounces, etc)

3. Do you mean importing Outlook contacts? At present this is done manually using List>Add Outlook Contacts

4. That's up to you. MLK doesn't care

5. Just send emails to the Outlook folder that MLK is checking for mailing list messages

I hope that clarifies things. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

gr8852

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  01:08:21  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks I'll give a go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic